Join Amy and Lindsey as they talk with Alisa about Progressive Christianity, as well as her upcoming new book!
As a reminder if you enjoyed this podcast and would like to support Mama Bear Apologetics click here.
Amy Davison and Lindsey Medenwaldt interview former singer song writer of Zoe Girl, and author of, Another Gospel: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity Alisa Childers. Together they discuss Progressive Christianity.
Main points covered:
Inspiration for Your Truth and Other Lies
Progressive Christianity Defined
Non-negotiable core tenants:
- Entirely different gospel, different Jesus, false gospel
- Movement of people who identify themselves as Christians who are willing and open to redefine or reject what we consider to be core historic doctrines of the faith.
- Theologically liberal but married to post modernism
- Always changing
How to Identify a Progressive Christian
They affirm many different things but they deny the following:
- Denial of God creating humans as a special creation
- Denial of original sin
- Denials of sin nature, referred instead as original blessing or goodness
- Resurrection affirmed by some, doesn’t play a big role
- Nobody will be punished in hell
- The Bible wasn’t written by God for humans, but by humans for God
Progressive Christianity in the Church
What is causing Progressive Christianity to Grow and what is drawing millennials?
- Attractive on the surface
- Seeking a way to affirm gay friends, but hold onto their Christianity
- It doesn’t require a hard stand
Examples of how Progressive Christianity is shaping parenting?
What can parents do to help their kids understand that just because to them something is true, doesn’t actually make it true?
- This has to be something you live out every day
- Explain the nature of truth
- Explain what a truth claim is
- subjective or objective truth claim
- Teach them use critical reasoning skills
- Don’t freak out – go through answers together
- It’s okay to say, “I don’t know the answer to that.”
Universalism – theological doctrine that all human beings will eventually be saved; the principles and practices of a liberal Christian denomination founded in the 18th century originally to uphold belief in universal salvation and now united with Unitarianism.
Marxism – the political, economic, and social principles and policies advocated by Karl Marx especially a theory and practice of socialism including the labor theory of value, dialectical materialism, the class struggle, and dictatorship of the proletariat until the establishment of a classless society.
Pantheism – a doctrine which identifies God with the universe or regards the universe as a manifestation of God; worship that admits or tolerates all gods.
People and Resources Mentioned:
Detailed Show Notes (Patreon)
Another Gospel – Alisa Childers
Live Your Truth and Other Lies: How Popular Deceptions Are Making Us Anxious, Self-Obsessed and Exhausted – Alisa Childers (coming Fall 2022)
Mike Winger Podcast
Whaddo You Meme? Jon McCray
The Ten Commandments of Progressive Christianity – Michael J. Kruger
A Grand Illusion: – David Young
Progressive Christianity References
Inspired – Rachel Held Evans
Love Wins – Rob Bell
Girl, Wash Your Face– Rachel Hollis
1 Corinthians 15:17
“Christianity stands or falls based on the resurrection of Jesus being a real event in history.” – Alisa
“Know the Word, know the truth so you can spot the counterfeit.” — Alisa
“Christianity is true or it isn’t. It’s not in the ice cream category.” — Alisa
“Our goal as parents is to help our kids think well.” – Amy
Amy Davison is a former Air Force veteran turned Mama Bear Apologist. She is currently a grad student at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary studying apologetics and philosophy. She and her husband Michael (also former Air Force) have been married for over 12 years and have 3 kids. Amy is the Mama Bear resident expert on sex and sexuality, and she’s especially hoping to have that listed on her Mama Bear business card.