On today’s episode of Mama Bear Apologetics, we’ll continue to listen to Simon Brace’s talk on the use of apologetics as a means for spiritual warfare. We’ll be listening with you and discussing important points that Simon covers.
Main Points Covered:
- A brief overview of what went on during the first episode of this series:
- Simon’s background in the protestant churches all around the world.
- While Simon may focus on what is happening in the American church, his words are still applicable in a number of churches throughout the Western world.
- Simon speaks about thinking optimistically and “speaking/thinking things into existence” and says that is paganism. Why are we combatting the occult with the occult?
- “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist,” Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects.
- We allow the enemy to distract us. He is the father of lies and if we expect anything other than absolute lies coming from his mouth, then we do not know who we are dealing with.
- If you don’t know where the enemy is, you’re out in the open. You’re an easy target.
- “We need to make our now Starbucks Jesus in a flannel shirt, sipping a latte at Starbucks, more attractive and popular in our super hyper-seeker sensitive environment. Or consider for a moment, our ever-emerging new church movements of every stripe, who seek to sanitize or standardize the pagan culture and win folks to Christ by making Christian music an art, less cheesy. And this is all led by a bizarre legion of pastors who are accessorizing or gelling their hair while squeezing their little guts into tight jeans while talking about a cool Jesus.” – Simon Brace
- When we let “cool” pastors (and their view of a happy Jesus who just wants to have a relationship with you) lead our churches, we become complacent and forget that we are in a war. You don’t even see the bullets whizzing by your head and that is a dangerous place to be.
- “It is unacceptable that you do not make apologetic training mandatory for your students. It is unacceptable that it is merely presented as an elective. Your responsibility is to train pastors and missions-people. All of these people you train, most of them will be elders, who can both preach the gospel and defend the faith.” – Simon Brace
- In his talk, Simon highlights the importance of scripture while showing that the church has lost its perception of how powerful it is. God’s word is a weapon.
- Do not have zeal without knowledge. The amount of damage that happens when you have zeal without knowledge cannot be underestimated.
- Amy taught in a senior class about relativism, objective truth, and subjective truth. There was only one class on apologetics in that private school and it occurred during the students’ senior year.
- We should not allow the enemy to distract us and let us forget that we are at war.
- We need apologetics training mandatory in our schools.
Simon Brace on Spiritual Warfare – Simon Brace’s talk on Spiritual Warfare on YouTube.
Ephesians 6:12 – a verse that Simon references in this talk.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 – verses referenced and read by Simon during his talk.
Quotable quotes:We allow the enemy to distract us. He is the father of lies and if we expect anything other than absolute lies coming from his mouth, then we do not know who we are dealing with. – Simon Brace Click To Tweet Do not have zeal without knowledge. Click To Tweet
Questions or ideas? Send us an email at email@example.com.
Donate to the podcast on our website.
Hillary Morgan Ferrer is the founder of Mama Bear Apologetics. She is coauthor and editor of the Mama Bear Apologetics book, and has been married to her husband, Dr. John D. Ferrer, for over 12 years. She is working on her second master’s degree, and yet can’t seem to figure out the simplest cooking recipes.